Why I really stopped the Slow Carb/Paleo diet

Hello Slow Carb-ers and Paleo-ites.  It’s been awhile, and I’m now gearing up to get back into the swing of things.

I stopped blogging a few months ago when my computer crashed, and I lost all of my food pictures and recipes I had stored on my desktop(not the brightest way to store things!)

That was only part of the story though.

I honestly just wasn’t that motivated anymore.

No matter what I did, I could not seem to lose weight.  I trouble-shooted my diet to no-end.  The cleaner I ate, and the more I exercised, it didn’t matter.

My body was stubbornly hanging on to every last pound.

I was pissed off and frustrated that the better I ate, and the stricter I was with myself nothing was happening.   So I just stopped trying.

That all started about 10 months ago.  It wasn’t until recently though that I bothered having any health tests run to see if there was something else going on.  And there was.

Adrenal Fatigue – not a major health issue, but it certainly explains why I wasn’t able to lose weight and also a good reminder of the importance of other lifestyle factors on your health (too much stress and not enough sleep can throw your adrenals into overdrive.)

In any case, after getting a diagnosis a few weeks ago, I stopped worrying about my weight and started focusing on getting healthy (now part of that is that for most people with adrenal fatigue, you can’t lose weight while your adrenals are under stress), so the dignosis made me take a hard look at my life and changes that needed to be made.

A big part of healing the adrenals is through proper diet – no caffeine, no sugar, lots of vegetables, aiming for a mostly alkaline diet and reducing acidic foods.  It can certainly be done following a Paleo diet, but what I’m sensing is of the utmost importance (at least for me right now) is getting those other lifestyle factors under control.

So over the next few months I’ll be sharing with you some of what I’m doing and implementing and will hopefully getting back into sharing some recipes as well.

If you’re struggling to lose fat on these diets (and you’re truly following them), I’d highly recommend getting some health tests done and also looking at your overall lifestyle for clues.

photo credit:   Wilson, James L., N.D., D.C. Ph.D.. Adrenal Fatigue: The 21st Century Stress Syndrome. Petaluma, CA. Smart Publications. 2001.

About Laura

I’m a 29 year old female currently living in Melbourne, Australia (originally from San Francisco.) I enjoy cooking, travel and lifestyle design.

7 Responses to Why I really stopped the Slow Carb/Paleo diet

1. Jason October 17, 2012 at 1:47 am #

Laura, it’s good to see you back. Sorry for being a slacker myself. :)

What I think would be great to see are some meal details designed to fix adrenal fatigue. I think I’m headed that way with the new baby. I realize that the easiest thing I can do is eat better, but that’s difficult!

-j

2. Sarabell November 1, 2012 at 4:48 am #

I attempted the slow-carb diet for a while. I experienced the energy slump at first that seems pretty common but I never really got past it. I would up changing my diet just to something healtheir than what it had been… basically vegetable and protein-based with a little dairy or fruit or grains thrown in here and there.

3. Ash December 24, 2012 at 8:55 am #

I do a very physical job and am usually ok on the slow carb diet. For the very heavy times though i wont begrudge myself an energy drink as I really DO need the energy if i want to carry on moving and there are no more break/meal times.

4. Antonio January 24, 2014 at 6:13 am #

Hey,

I suggest you to read Matt Stone’s “12 Paleo Myths: Eat Better Than A Caveman”.
    You will be surprised finding that your condition is a natural consequence of going Paleo in the long run.

• Jason February 19, 2014 at 10:49 am #

It’ll be an interesting read, but his premise is flawed:
      “12 Paleo Myths: Eat Better than a Caveman goes into great detail about the physiology behind how the Paleo Diet, particularly one that is heavy in meat and fat and low in carbohydrates, affects us as human beings.”

Paleo (and slow-carb) aren’t low-carb diets. The reputable teachers in the paleosphere will tell you that as well. The misinformers tote them as one, though.

I do plan to take a look at the book though.

-j

5. Jason February 19, 2014 at 10:53 am #

For those interested, the Kindle version is free on Amazon (at least for now, at the time of this comment)
    12 Paleo Myths: Eat Better Than A Caveman

6. Andreas April 1, 2014 at 2:54 am #

Great article! Though I’m not really losing weight nor inches, I do witness the transformation that takes place, like getting stronger and the overall body composition changing. However, there are other people I know that don’t, and whose personal life circumstances are similar to the ones you mention. Forwarded.