Chicken Tenders: Slow Carb and Paleo Comfort Food

Slow Carb Chicken TendersChicken Tenders, Chicken Fingers, Chicken Strips, Chicken McNuggets.  Normally we think of these things as breaded, deep-fried (and possibly mechanically-separated, chemical-filled) parcels of junk food.
It doesn’t have to be that way.  Using almond meal and some other seasonings, you can create your own, healthy almond-crusted chicken tenders.
Ingredients
  • 1 cup almond flour
  • Sea Salt to taste
  • Black Pepper to taste
  • Other seasonings of choice  (I throw in about a heaped  teaspoon each of onion powder, garlic powder, paprika and oregano.  Feel free to add cayenne, parsley, cajun spice blend or anything you like.)
  • 1 egg
  • 2 large chicken breasts, boneless, skinless, cut in tender-size strips
Directions
1) Pour a cup of almond flour into a zip lock bag (or a dish with high sides that can be shaken around a bit)
2) Add salt, pepper and other seasonings until it smells good to you – we use A LOT.
3) Dip all white meat chicken tender strips into a beaten egg, then lightly coat in flour/seasoning mixture.
4) Broil  (or outside of the US, use the “grill” setting on your oven) on high for 10 minutes, then flip and broil for another 5-8 minutes.
5) They are ready when the coating starts to turn brown on both sides.  Serve with mustard or Slow Carb and Paleo friendly condiments.
Check out our post to learn to make your own Slow Carb and Paleo friendly mayo and ketchup.

Pro Tip:Just about any type of meat you’d normally coat with breadcrumbs can be done with almond meal or any other nut meal. Let your imagination run wild. Fish fillets, pork chops, even an Italian classic chicken parma. Check out our recipe for Walnut Crusted Pork Chops if you’re looking for inspiration.

Incoming search terms:

• paleo chicken tenders
  • almond flour chicken strips
  • almond flour chicken tenders
  • paleo chicken tenders with almond flour

About Jason

Working on my own fitness, I love sharing with you what I find. You might recognize me from Finding My Fitness.

, , ,

17 Responses to Chicken Tenders: Slow Carb and Paleo Comfort Food

1. Ross January 23, 2012 at 12:23 pm #

Where do I get “Seat” salt? 😛 Sorry, I couldn’t resist. 🙂

• Laura January 23, 2012 at 12:48 pm #

Clearly the same place you buy home decor and furniture 😉 Thanks for the typo catch!

2. patrick morris January 23, 2012 at 10:56 pm #

I use almond meal (trader joes ;cheap) and coconut, seasoned salt and fry in coconut oil , yum. may try to add parm cheese next time

• Laura January 23, 2012 at 11:08 pm #

Those sound great, Patrick. I’ll have to try that out. Love coconut oil! Thanks for the tip.

3. Kiley January 24, 2012 at 3:07 pm #

Do I need to cook the chicken at all before broiling? I am worried the broiling for 20 min won’t cook the chicken through the middle. Thanks!

• Laura January 24, 2012 at 3:16 pm #

hi Kiley: If you’ve cut your chicken into strips, it should be fine. If you were breading an entire chicken breast I would think it would need longer. You can always cut one open to test. Or prick it with a knife or toothpick and see if the juices are pink or clear. Clear means done 🙂

4. Kiley January 24, 2012 at 3:46 pm #

Thanks Laura. I’m excited to try them out tomorrow!

5. Kiley January 25, 2012 at 4:32 pm #

These turned out great! The almond flour worked wonderfully. I sprinkled some curry powder on some of them and they turned out great. Thanks for your help.

6. buy fat burning furnace October 31, 2012 at 2:11 am #

Pretty! This was an incredibly wonderful post.
    Thanks for providing this information.

7. Kelly Spezzano November 2, 2012 at 12:18 am #

Do you think these would be good made ahead of time and then reheated later? How would you reheat? Low oven? (we don’t own a microwave)

• Laura November 2, 2012 at 8:22 am #

Hi Kelly,
      You could probably reheat them in the oven on low heat. I’ve never tried, but it would probably work. You wouldn’t want to leave them in too long or they may get dried out. I don’t use a microwave on anything for health reasons.

• Ellen Harnett November 20, 2013 at 3:24 am #

Toaster ovens are great for reheating. Let the chicken strips get to room temp so they will only need a few minutes in the toaster oven to heat. I don’t use microwaves either. I like to preserve the nutirents in my food and I hate “rubber chicken”!

8. Kelly Spezzano November 2, 2012 at 8:43 am #

Thanks Laura, that’s what I was thinking too. We don’t own/use microwave either for health reasons! 🙂

I made the tenders today and they looked and smelled so good, I had to try one before packing them away. They are DELISH!

9. Mirjam January 5, 2014 at 7:58 pm #

Thanks for this great idea! I love Schnitzel, and I even have almond meal at home trying to make some non-sweet slow carb cookies, but I hadn’t thought of this yet! Usually I would make schnitzel in a frying pan, but I was afraid this would ruin the expensive and super nutritious almond meal. Making it in the oven is a great idea!

As to the non-sweet cookies, the best I mad so far are macarons,using nothing other than coconut, fluffy egg white and real vanilla, on low heat in the oven for about 30 min. They turned out wonderfully chewy and they taste sweet enough if you’re not used to eating sugar.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Paleo Taco Dip - December 5, 2012

[…] meal is to have a healthy calories and berries. A lot of these prehistoric times. Anything else you want and never preserved foods as well in the form of refined food good times! And although you can provide bulk and protein needs […]

2. Wednesday, March 6, 2013 : CrossFit Costa Mesa - March 7, 2013

[…] Daily Affirmation. One of my favorite videos. You can do anything good! Eat–Almond Meal Chicken Tenders. One of my FAVORITE recipes! I usually pan fry them first in some coconut oil, then bake […]

3. Paleo Crab Cake Recipe - April 9, 2013

[…] http://www.slowcarbfoodie.com/2012/01/23/chicken-tenders-slow-carb-and-paleo-comfort-food/ http://paleolithicrecipes.com/paleolithic-recipes/paleo-pizza-dominos/ http://www.vahrehvah.com/Shahi+Pulao:4366 http://www.worldcat.org/title/paleo-answer-7-days-to-lose-weight-feel-great-stay-young/oclc/731913199 […]