For those who already roast their veggies, this is just a new way to spice them up. If you’re new to roasting veggies, you are in for a treat. Roasting vegetables caramelizes them, bringing out their natural sweetness, and if you roast for long enough, your vegetables will turn out crispy and crunchy. Depending on what veggies you roast, sometimes it almost feels like you’re “cheating” on your diet.
Today I roasted sweet potatoes (**Note: Sweet potatoes are not Slow Carb approved unless you’re refuelling after an intense workout and under 20% bodyfat!)
Sweet potatoes really complement the exotic spice blend in this recipe – you get a hint of salty, spicy and sweet all at once. Plus, they’re full of fiber, nutrient dense and a much slower burning carb than white potatoes.
If you’re not at that phase in your fitness, you could try these out on cheat day for a healthy and benign cheat, or do this recipe with just about any vegetables. I’d recommend trying a mix of zucchini, onions and pumpkin. Cauliflower is also fantastic roasted. I let it get nice and crispy so it’s a bit like popping some potato chips.
- 1 t ground coriander
- 1/2 t ground fennel
- 1/2 t dried oregano
- 1/2 t dried red pepper flakes
- sea salt, to taste
- 1 lb sweet potatoes or other veggies
- 3 Tbs oil of your choice (I use macadamia nut oil)
- ½ t whole coriander seeds left whole (optional)
- Heat oven to 425F.
- Use a nonstick baking tray or line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Mix spices and oil in a small bowl. Set aside. I prefer to use my own freshly ground spices. It takes about 15 seconds in a “rocket” type blender or just a minute or two with a mortar and pestle. If you use this method, make sure to set aside some whole coriander seeds that don’t get blended.
- Cut vegetables into wedges or large slices. Place on the baking sheet. Sprinkle with spice mix, olive oil, and salt. Don’t skimp on the salt. Toss to evenly coat and spread potatoes in one layer with space between the pieces. Before putting them in the oven, I like to toss on some whole coriander seeds.
- Roast for 25-30 minutes or until tender. Flip veggies once during cooking.
- Serve immediately.
Incoming search terms:
- slow carb can i roast veggies