Homemade Slow Carb Mayo made with Macadamia Nut Oil

I’ve been slowly working my way through recipes for all the condiments as the store-bought  versions  are all packed with sugar, fillers, preservatives and/or unhealthy oils.

Mayonnaise is no different.   Some are better than others, but why not make your own slow carb friendly version.  It tastes much better (so creamy and rich!), and when made with macadamia nut oil or olive oil, you can actually up your intake of healthy fats for the day.

This recipe is intended to be done in the blender.  I prefer a magic bullet or rocket type blender, but you can also use a normal blender or whisk by hand with a wire whisk.  Mayo should keep for a week when covered in the fridge.  The great thing about a Rocket Blender is that you can use the same container for blending and storage – a super time-saver.

I recently came across this other recipe that calls for whey protein.  What could be more perfect for Slow Carbers, right?  I haven’t gotten up the nerve to try it yet, but for all you food adventurers out there, give it a go (and then let me know how it is!)

Slow Carb Mayonnaise

Homemade Slow Carb Mayonnaise

Ingredients

• 1 egg
  • 4 oz of macadamia nut oil or olive oil
  • 1/2 tsp of white wine or red wine vinegar (I prefer red, but it’s a bit different so go with the white for a more traditional mayo.)
  • 1/2 tsp of dry mustard powder
  • 1 clove of garlic, crushed (less for a milder mayo.)
  • Sea salt and fresh ground pepper to taste

Method

1. Place the eggs into the blender or food processor, along with the mustard, garlic, salt and pepper and blend together.
  2. Pour the oil into the blender in a slow, steady stream while the machine is operating, so that it is immediately whisked into the egg yolk mixture. If you can’t add the oil in a continuous stream, pour it in small batches (say ¼ cup at a time.)
  3. Switch off the machine and taste the mayonnaise. Add the vinegar and any extra seasoning to taste and whisk together one last time.

About Jason

Working on my own fitness, I love sharing with you what I find. You might recognize me from Finding My Fitness.

, , ,

12 Responses to Homemade Slow Carb Mayo made with Macadamia Nut Oil

1. Jason March 29, 2011 at 5:04 am #

You are my best friend at the moment! I am going to bookmark this and make it this week!

-j

2. Angela March 29, 2011 at 3:42 pm #

Sounds delish! Are we just using the egg yolk or is it a whole egg?

• Laura March 29, 2011 at 9:47 pm #

Hi Angela – Thanks for reading. I used the whole egg – though I’ve seen other versions that used 1 whole + 1 extra yolk.

3. Debbie March 31, 2011 at 2:19 pm #

I made this and it was fantastic! Thank you!

4. Daniel April 29, 2011 at 12:51 pm #

This looks awesome. Will have to give it a try.

5. KBarker May 19, 2011 at 5:17 am #

This is phenomenal! To get a more “mayo” tasting result use light olive oil and it’s just perfect! Thanks for the recipe, this has revitalized my ability to eat canned tuna 🙂

6. maria May 30, 2011 at 5:15 pm #

Hi, just wanted to tell you that the other recipe does not call for whey protein, it calls for the liquid you get from straining live yogurt. It is full of good bacteria which is why you then go on to leave the mayo at room temp for a few hours after. It is a huge difference between this liquid and whey protein!

7. Alicia November 1, 2012 at 9:57 pm #

Just want to note that Whey Protein is a dairy byproduct. As such, I would think that if you aren’t eating dairy as part of your slow carb plan you should avoid recipes (and store bought foods) containing whey proteins. No?

• Laura November 2, 2012 at 8:28 am #

Hi Alicia, I believe in his book, Tim made an exception for whey protein because it doesn’t contain the large amount of lactose as most other dairy products and doesn’t cause your insulin levels to spike. The same goes for cottage cheese (though he said both aren’t necessarily ideal.)

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Thursday Eats - Sweet Potato, Bacon, Egg salad | 4 Hour Body Zone - July 7, 2011

[…] in a separate bowl combine mayo, dill, and lemon juice.  You can use this recipe to make your own mayo […]

2. Slow-Carb Recipe Meal Plans - 4 Hour Body Tips | Finding My Fitness - April 4, 2012

[…] Hamburgers – burger, ham, 1 egg, onion, tomato, homemade mayo, in a lettuce […]

3. Guest Post – Demoned Eggs | 4 Hour Body Zone - August 26, 2012