I’ve been slowly working my way through recipes for all the condiments as the store-bought versions are all packed with sugar, fillers, preservatives and/or unhealthy oils.
Mayonnaise is no different. Some are better than others, but why not make your own slow carb friendly version. It tastes much better (so creamy and rich!), and when made with macadamia nut oil or olive oil, you can actually up your intake of healthy fats for the day.
This recipe is intended to be done in the blender. I prefer a magic bullet or rocket type blender, but you can also use a normal blender or whisk by hand with a wire whisk. Mayo should keep for a week when covered in the fridge. The great thing about a Rocket Blender is that you can use the same container for blending and storage – a super time-saver.
I recently came across this other recipe that calls for whey protein. What could be more perfect for Slow Carbers, right? I haven’t gotten up the nerve to try it yet, but for all you food adventurers out there, give it a go (and then let me know how it is!)
- 1 egg
- 4 oz of macadamia nut oil or olive oil
- 1/2 tsp of white wine or red wine vinegar (I prefer red, but it’s a bit different so go with the white for a more traditional mayo.)
- 1/2 tsp of dry mustard powder
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed (less for a milder mayo.)
- Sea salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- Place the eggs into the blender or food processor, along with the mustard, garlic, salt and pepper and blend together.
- Pour the oil into the blender in a slow, steady stream while the machine is operating, so that it is immediately whisked into the egg yolk mixture. If you can’t add the oil in a continuous stream, pour it in small batches (say ¼ cup at a time.)
- Switch off the machine and taste the mayonnaise. Add the vinegar and any extra seasoning to taste and whisk together one last time.
Incoming search terms:
- homemade mayonnaise
- slow carb mayonnaise
- macadamia oil mayonnaise
- macadamia nut oil mayo
- slow carb mayo
- 4 hour body mayonnaise
- mayonnaise slow carb
- mayonnaise macadamia oil
- macadamia nut mayonnaise
- macadamia mayonnaise recipe