Chilli is often a staple for those of us on a Slow Carb Diet. It’s family-friendly, party-friendly, super-easy, and by making a batch or two early in the week and portioning it out for lunches, you have your weekly meals planned.
While chilli is a familiar food, everyone seems to have their own recipe. Here’s mine – a bit more ingredients than most use, but I think it gives the chilli a bit more depth than most chillis.
If you’re concerned about the cocoa powder, leave it out, but if you use pure baking cocoa with no added sugars or fillers, you’re actually getting yourself a mighty dose of antioxidants that shouldn’t cause your blood sugar to spike.
- 1 Tbs olive oil or macadamia nut oil
- 1 lb of lean ground beef or turkey
- 1-2 can of beans, rinsed - OR LEAVE OUT COMPLETELY FOR FEWER CARBS
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 t ground cumin
- 1 t paprika
- 1 t cocoa
- ½ t dried chilli flakes
- Cayenne pepper to taste (I use about ½ t)
- 1 t dried oregano
- 1 t onion powder
- 1 t garlic powder
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 small can tomato paste
- 1 c water or beef stock
- Sea salt to taste
- Fresh ground pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion and cook until translucent. Add garlic and cook another minute until fragrant.
- Add the dry spices and cook another minute until you can smell the spices.
- Add the beef and cook just until it’s cooked through. Add tomatoes. Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring regularly.
- Add tomato paste, beans, water or stock and the bay leaf and some fresh ground pepper and bring to boil. Once chilli begins to boil, turn down the heat and simmer for about 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve or portion out for lunch servings during the week.
Incoming search terms:
- slow carb chili
- slow carb chili recipe
- slow carb chili recipes
- slow carb chilli
- Chilli images
- scd chili recipe
- slow carb chilli recipe
- lentil recipe slow carb
- my favorite slow carb chilli recipe