I’m going to start off by saying that these lentils aren’t for everyone, but if you need to change things up a bit with your menu – they certainly do that. I’d been making my favorite Spiced Bacon Lentils for weeks, and my boyfriend finally flipped out and told me I had to try cooking something else.
I had some black mustard seeds I’d been wanting to try, so this was the result. They have a bit of a bite to them – just like regular mustard. I will definitely be making them again.
- 1 can lentils (drained)
- 1 onion chopped
- 2-3 cloves of garlic, thinly sliced
- 2 tsp black mustard seeds
- 1 tbsp oil or ghee
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric (optional)
- 1/2 cup of water or broth
1. Heat the oil in a saucepan.
2. Add the cumin seeds and, when they start to putter, add the sliced onions. Be careful not to burn the mustard seeds.
3. Cook the onions until translucent, then add the garlic. Stir-fry for another minute.
4. Add the chilli powder and turmeric. Stir together for about a minute.
5. Add the lentils and stir in.
6. Add a bit of broth or water. Salt to taste. Bring the mixture to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer for a minimum of 5 minutes. I will sometimes simmer up to 30 minutes add more water if needed to get creamier lentils.
Incoming search terms:
- lentil recipes slow carb
- mustard lentils recipe
- lentils mustard recipe
- lentil mustard recipe
- lentil recipes mustard