While Spiced Bacon Lentils are still my favorite Slow Carb legumes, I’m still experimenting with other ways of cooking lentils because, well, variety is spice of life, right? Sorry – that was bad, I know.
Here’s the basic w way I go about preparing lentils. The recipe is fairly lose because I usually cook using whatever I have on hand.
Basic Lentil Recipe (using canned lentils – follow directions here to cook dried lentils)
- 1 Tbs ghee or macadamia nut oil
- 1 medium- large onion, chopped
- 4-6 cloves of garlic, minced
- 3-4 cans of lentils, drained
- 1 cup of water or stock
- Heat ghee or oil in a medium sized pan. Add onions and sauté until translucent. 5-10 minutes.
- Reduce heat a bit. Add garlic. Sauté 1 more minute until fragrant.
- Add spices – see below for ideas
- Add lentils
- Add water or stock. Simmer for 15-20 minutes until the liquid has evaporated or thickened.
Spice Variations – (make and blends you use are pure spices, no fillers!)
Southwestern Lentils – add 1 Tbs of Fajita or Taco seasoning + ½ can diced tomatoes. Serve with avocado or guacamole.
Curry Lentils – add 1 Tbs of Curry Powder . Optional add ins: bay leaf, chickpeas.
Southeast Asian Lentils – add 1.5 teaspoons Garam Masala.
Middle Eastern Lentils – add 1 Tbs Penzey’s Turkish Seasoning. Optional add ins– diced tomatoes, finely diced sautéed zucchini or eggplant .
Incoming search terms:
- slow carb lentils