Well over a decade ago I was introduced to “Faux Rice” and “Faux Potatoes” when my parents went on a low carb diet. This normally consists of “ricing” a head of cauliflower, steaming it and then covering it in some sort of low carb marinara or meat sauce to mask the fact that it tastes nothing like rice or potatoes.
With a little bit of time and effort, you can create a cauliflower dish that doesn’t need to be disguised, covered or smothered by rice sauces. These are great served like hash browns for breakfast or as side dish with any meal of the day.
I like to chop up an entire cauliflower at once (as well as extra onion and garlic) and keep the extra in the fridge so I can make it a few times throughout the week with minimal prep.
Cauliflower to go with any Slow Carb Meal
(Makes 2 cups)
- 2 c raw cauliflower, grated using a cheese grater or chopped to the size of your pinky thumbnail
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- Oil (macadamia nut oil or olive oil)
- Sea salt, fresh ground pepper
- Optional seasonings (You can spruce up the dish with a seasoned salt, herb blend or or paprika – Don’t try all of them at once! I like to use a blend of Italian Herbs or Turkish Seasoning and usually buy from Penzey’s because they’re high quality and don’t have fillers.)
- Pour a bit of oil into a frying pan, and set heat to medium. Add the onions and sauté until translucent or even a bit crispy. 5-6 minutes.
- Add garlic. Cook until fragrant. 1-2 minutes.
- Add cauliflower. Turn heat up a bit a cook until golden brown. About 6-10 minutes.
- Season with sea salt and fresh ground pepper.
- Add other seasonings if desired.